For newbies, I provide the following incomplete list of codes and terms you’re likely to see in Voyager fic and web travels:
- Alpha Quadrant – The part of the galaxy that includes Earth and most of Federation space
- Alternate Universe – Meaning the story diverts from the facts as established on the series
- Facts as established in the episodes themselves
- Details about the show that have been used so often in fan fiction that they feel like canon even though they’re not
- Paris/Torres – Fiction featuring the romantic story line pairing Tom Paris and B’Elanna Torres (similarly J/C = Janeway/Chakotay, etc.)
- “Discuss the Relationship” – Tom’s favorite place to DTR used to be the turbolift. Lately, it’s the Delta Flyer.
- MISSING SCENE
- A story based on a scene you’re just SURE they meant to include in an episode but somehow overlooked.
- A story or article that divulges the plot of one or more Voyager episodes
- “Plot? What Plot?” – Stories that are just a thinly-veiled excuse for putting the characters in intimate/romantic situations. I don’t write these stories, but some do.
- “The Powers That Be” – Usually means Star Trek’s producers and writers, though can mean the higher-ups at Paramount or UPN [Also deemed TIIC, or “The Idiots In Charge” by one friend…]